GETTING TO BHUTAN
Tourism has been strictly limited in Bhutan so that traditional culture can be preserved and nurtured. The Bhutanese are highly religious people and therefore it is important to show respect and understanding for local customs and way of life, especially while visiting places of religious significance.
The tourism industry in Bhutan is founded on the principle of sustainability, meaning that tourism must be environmentally and ecologically friendly, socially and culturally acceptable, and also economically viable. In keeping with the Tourism Council of Bhutan’s “High Value, Low Impact” tourism policy, all tourists are required to visit Bhutan on an all inclusive minimum package.
Inclusive Package Tour & Tariff
- All tours must be booked through a licensed Bhutanese Tour Operator such as Ati Jong.
- Visitors may only experience Bhutan on an all-inclusive package tour for which a fixed daily tariff is set by the Royal Government / Tourism Council of Bhutan.
Minimum Package Tour Rate:
US $ 250 per person per night (Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, Nov – Peak Season)
US $ 200 per person per night (Jan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug, Dec – Regular Season)
US $ 40 Bhutan Visa fee per person (per one time visit)
Govt. FIT Surcharge: in addition to the tour rates given above
Single Individual : US $ 40 per night per person (Peak & Regular Season)
Groups of 2 persons : US $ 30 per night per person (Peak & Regular Season)
Group of 3 persons and more: FIT Surcharge is waived (Peak & Regular Season)
This tariff covers the following land costs:
- approved standard hotels in twin sharing room (2-3 star)
- All meals at the Govt. approved standard hotels or local restaurants
(c) Transport / transfers within Bhutan
(d) A licensed English speaking local guide for the duration of the tour
(e) Sightseeing, entrances fees to museums & monuments, all permits
(f) 35% royalty to the government & all taxes
(g) Trekking (basic equipments, haulage & crew)
Other services, activities and higher category of hotels will require a supplement.
(a) Four wheel drive vehicle: US $ 65-80 per day per vehicle
(b) Language speaking Guide (French, German, Japanese) US $100 -150 per day per guide
(c) Standard Hotel Supplements:
Standard hotel suites: US $ 130 – 175 per night per double/twin room
Standard hotel deluxe rooms: US $ 70 – 90 per night per double/twin room
Standard hotel ordinary single room: US $ 45 per night per room
- US $ 20 Taktsang Monastery excursion horse ride per person
Luxury Accommodations (5 star) Available in Bhutan:
Aman Kora (Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Gangtey & Bumthang)
Uma (Paro & Punakha), Zhiwaling (Paro), Haven Resort (Paro), Taj Tashi (Thimphu), Terma Linca (Thimphu), Gangtey Goenpa Lodge (Gangtey)
Deluxe (3 to 4 star) & 4 Star Accommodations Available in Bhutan:
Namgay Heritage (Thimphu), Druk Hotel (Thimphu), Naksel Resort (Paro), Kunzang Zhing Resort (Punakha), Raven Crown Resort (Trongsa), Yu Gharling Resort (Bumthang)
(a) 10 + 1 pax 1 pax 50% discount
- 1 pax 1 pax Free
(b) Royalty for children below 12 yrs of age accompanied by a guardian/parent is waived. Child should be below 12 years at the time of their visit.
Please contact Ati Jong for quotes/prices
- Visas are required for travelling to Bhutan, and applications are processed through Ati Jong in conjunction with tour booking. No foreign mission abroad grants Bhutan tourist visas.
Required Information for Visa Application:
We will apply for your Bhutan visa after the tour payment is received and will require the following :
Scanned Passport Copy (page with photo and details). Photo must be clear. Sent preferably by email.
Passport should be valid for atleast 6 months after the exit date from Bhutan.
Pls use the same passport while travelling to Bhutan on which the visa was issued.
We will not be held responsible if passport on which the visa was issued does not match the passport used to travel to Bhutan.
- No passport size photo is required on arrival.
- Visa applications are cleared in advance and a visa clearance document will be forwarded to you. The actual visas are stamped on the passports on arrival at the port of entry.
- For travellers entering Bhutan by Air, the visa clearance document is required for check-in and boarding the flight to Bhutan. Travellers without a visa clearance document will not be permitted to board their flight.
- For travellers entering the country by land from India, through the southern border towns of Phuentsholing/Samdrup Jongkhar, the actual visa is stamped on the passports on arrival. Travellers without a visa clearance document will not be permitted to enter the country.
- Air: The only International Airport is located in Paro.
International Sectors by Druk Air and Bhutan Airlines:
India (Kolkata CCU, Delhi DEL, Bagdogra IXB, Guwahati GUA)
Nepal (Kathmandu KTM)
Thailand (Bangkok BKK)
Bangladesh (Dhaka DAC)
Singapore (Singapore SIN)
As flights can be delayed due to weather conditions, we advise you to keep at least 24 hours transit time between your international flight and Druk Air/Bhutan Airlines flight (incoming and outgoing).
Domestic Sectors by Druk Air:
Yongphula, Trashigang (YON)
Land: Arrival/departure through the south-western border town of Phuentsholing, south- central border town of Gelephu and the south-eastern border town of Samdrup Jongkhar.
The nearest airport to the south-western border town of Phuntsholing is at Bagdogra, West Bengal, about 4 hours’ drive away. Phuentsholing is a convenient entry/exit point for travellers wishing to visit the Indian states of Sikkim and West Bengal along with Bhutan.
The nearest airport to the south-central border town of Gelephu is at Bagdogra, West Bengal, about 6 hours’ drive away. Gelephu can also be used as entry/exit point for travellers wishing to visit the Indian states of Sikkim, West Bengal, Assam and the North Eastern Indian States along with Bhutan.
The nearest airport to the south-eastern border town of Samdrup Jongkhar is at Guwahati, capital of the Indian state of Assam, about 3 hours’ drive away. Samdrup Jongkhar is a convenient entry/exit point for travellers wishing to visit the Indian states of Assam and other North Eastern states of India along with Bhutan.
Flight Frequency & Airfares
- Druk Air & Bhutan Airlines flies several times a week between its destinations, but flight timings and frequency vary according to season. Please check our website bhutanatijong.com or contact Ati Jong email@example.com for the latest information on flight schedule and airfare when planning your travel arrangements. If you would like the current flight schedule sent to you, please let us know.
- For Cultural Tours, booking arrangements must be completed 4 weeks in advance, but for Cultural Tours during festivals, arrangements must be completed 6 weeks in advance. Without early reservations it can be difficult to confirm flights and hotels.
For Trekking groups, booking arrangements should be completed at least 8 weeks in advance, as this activity requires detailed forward planning. Ati Jong has built up impressive resources over the last 23 years, and can offer your clients a choice of the finest and best organized trekking experiences in the entire Himalayas.
- Payments must be made via wire transfers.
We do not have credit card facilities for tour payment at the moment in Bhutan.
- Advance payment in full for the entire tour must be sent to Ati Jong at least 60 days prior to arrival
Services are confirmed subject to advance payment only. We will provide full information on remittance of tour payment when we cost your requirements.
- It is advisable to remit payment for Druk Air flights as soon as possible; this will help us obtain confirmed seats on the requested flights.
- If trip is cancelled 30 days or more during regular season (Jan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug, Dec) and 60 days or more during peak season (Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, Nov) prior to arrival date – No Charge
- If trip is cancelled less than 30 days during regular season (Jan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug, Dec) and less than 60 days during peak season (Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, Nov) to before 7 days to arrival date – 50% of tour cost
- If cancelled after 7 days or less prior to arrival date – 100% of tour cost
- No refund for No Shows or Early Departures
- If guests do not complete the trek due to personal reasons, there will be no refund. For those nights not used for treks:
Accommodation & meals will be extra US $ 40/person/night
Transfers/transportation & other miscellaneous expenses will be on actual basis.
- If guests do not complete the trek due to weather conditions, there will be no refund. However, accommodation & meals & transfer/transportation will be provided free of charge by Ati Jong.
Druk Air fare: REGULAR FARE (requires passenger names)
- 100% refund if cancelled more than 30 days from travel date
- 50% refund between 30-last 10 days from travel date
- No refund if cancelled within last 10 days from travel date but valid for one year from date of issue (Bkk/Pbh sector ticket is valid for one month)
- No refund for tickets cancelled on medical grounds
- Once ticket is issued, travel dates can be post phoned without a cancellation fee if post phoned more than 4 days to travel date. If post phoned 4 days or less to travel date then cancellation fee of USD 30/change is applicable.
- Administrative fee of USD 30 applicable per cancellation/reservation amendments/ date change / name spelling correction
- No name change permitted once ticket is purchased
- USD 50 applicable for No Shows
- All refunds must be processed within 60 days from the date of travel
- Airfares are subject to change
Druk Air fare: BLOCK PURCHASE (DOES NOT require passenger names)
- Once payment is made Sector and Dates changes are not allowed
- Once ticket is issued with a name, any name changes thereafter is allowed with a fee of USD 30/change
- Names can be inserted & changed ($ 30/change admin fee applicable) till the day before arrival
- On cancellation of block purchase bookings, the applicable taxes if collected will be refunded
- Refund Policy:
High Season (Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, Nov)
- 50% refund permitted for tickets cancelled more than 60 days from the date of travel
- 25% refund permitted for tickets cancelled more than 30 days from the date of travel
- Refund not permitted for tickets cancelled less than 30 days from the date of travel
Low Season (Jan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug, Dec)
- 50% refund permitted for tickets cancelled more than 30 days from the date of travel
- 25% refund permitted for tickets cancelled more than 15 days from the date of travel
- Refund not permitted for tickets cancelled less than 15 days from the date of travel